Virupaksha Temple And Bazaar, Hampi
BRIEF HISTORY:The temple of virupaksha or pampapati on the banks of river Tungabhadra is tuteliary diety of Vijayanagara rulers is the most sacred living monuments of Hampi. The temple earlier was modest and with the patronage of various dynasties from 7th century AD., it grew in to its present proportions due to the patronage of devaraya ii (1422-46 AD) and krishnadevaraya (1509-1528 AD) of sangama and tuluva lineage of vijayanagara dynasty. the temple has a sanctum, vestibule, pillered hall with porches at north and south, a large sabha mantapa also known as ranga mantapa, pillered cloister all around and numerous subsidiary shrines of which the shrines of Mukti Narasimha, Pataleswara, Saptamatrika, Suryanarayana, Tarakeswara, Saraswati, Vidyaranya, Parvati and Bhuvaneswari. The last two exhibit later chalukyan features (12th century AD). Vidyaranya’s image belongs to 20th century.
The temple in its enclosure also has a kitchen, hall of marriage (kalyana mantapa), and paviloin for processional deities. Tall elegant entrance towers at north, south and east are known for their stucco sculptures. the eastren gateway caused by proluganti tippa during the time of devaraya ii (1422-46 ad) and the enrance tower of the second enclosure and ranga mantapa was caused by krishnadevaraya in (1510 ad) to commemorate his crowing. The temple at north also has a towered gateway with a sacred Manmata Honda (tank).
However the most outstanding is ceiling paintings of vijayanagara in the ranga mantapa. The noteworthy paintings are of the procession of sage vidyranya, dikpalakas and the ten incornations of Vishnu. Girija kalyana, Arjuna at matsya yantra and shiva as tripurari.