BRIEF HISTORY:The monolithic Narasimha statue, about 6.7 m high, stands within a walled enclosure, near the Krishna temple. It is a carefully carved and well-finished colossal icon. It is a four-armed seated figure, but all the arms are now broken. There is a large seven-hooded naga above the head. Originally, there was a figure of Lakshmi seated on the left thigh of the god. The deity is seated below a makara-torana springing from two ornate pilasters. The image was one of the last contributions of Krishnadeva Raya to Vijayanagara, an inscription states that Krishanadeva Raya made a grant in A.D. 1528 to the temple of Lakshmi Narasimha which he had built and that the deity was made out of a single granite boulder by a Brahmin named Krishnabhatta.