Jain Temple On The Hillside Close To Vishnu Temple
BRIEF HISTORY:This is a Vaishnava temple raised on a granite outcrop, facing north-east. Earlier, this temple was identified as a Jaina temple by A.H. Longhurst and as a Rama temple by Devakunjari. According to an inscription, it was built for god Narasimha in about A.D. 1386 by a merchant named Hiriya Timmasetti and was later developed into complex with two other small shrines added on the east and south-west. This is the earliest dated Narasimha temple of Vijayanagara city. It has a plain exterior except for relief carvings of Garuda, Hanuman, elephant and a band of scroll design.
An outstanding feature of this temple is its stepped pyramidal tower (Kadamba-nagara sikhara) having recessed horizontal mouldings and sukanasa projection over garbhagriha and antarala. This complex is surrounded by a prakara wall having on the west a porch with a flight of eighteen steps and on the east an open two-storeyed gateway reached by thirty three steps.