Hampi Ruins and Ananthasayana Temple
BRIEF HISTORY: An inscription, dated A.D. 1524, on the walls of the temple states that Krishnadeva Raya founded the town of Sale Tirumala Maharayapura (evidently the present village of Anantasayanagudi) in memory of his deceased son and that he built here a temple for the God Anantapadmanabha, granted number of villages for its upkeep and appointed priests of the Vaikhanasa sect for the conduct of worship. From other epigraphs it may be inferred that the temple continued in worship at least till A.D. 1549 in the time of Sadasiva Raya.
On plan, the temple consists of a rectangular garbhagriha, a sabhamantapa and a mahamantapa. The main vimana is about 24 m high. The garbhagriha consists of a plainly moulded adhishthana over which rise the bare walls. The superstructure over sikhara has projecting panjaras-and salas on the sides. There are no stupis. The vaulted dome alone measures 10 m high which speaks much about the constructional skill of the Vijayanagara craftsmen. The sanctum chamber has three entrances. The rectangular antarala leads to an open seven-aisled mahamantapa built in the typical Vijayanagara style with composite pillars. The Amman shrine to the west, is a dvitala vimana with a square domical sikhara. The shrine chamber contained a large black stone image of a four-armed seated Devi which is now shifted to the museum at Kamlapuram. The antarala here leads to a sabhamantapa while the front mahamantapa has preserved only in its ornate base.