Gopala Krishna Swami Temple
BRIEF HISTORY:lnscriptionally known as Gopinatha temple, this austere temple of granite was constructed by Bayakara Ramappa, provincial Governor of Sri Achyuta Devaraya of Vijayanagara in A.D. 1539 for the merit of his parents Hiriya Timmarasayya and Lakkalisamma. The temple in north¬ south orientation is set in prakara with a spacious courtyard. An imposing four tiered mahadwara gopura is at south in the typical style of the mature phase of Vijayanagara architecture. The brick-and-Iime tower has a fair amount of stucco figures in a good state of preservation, The temple on plan has a garbhagriha and an antarala followed by pillared sabhamantapa and an open pillared mukhamantapa.
The sabhamantapa has two more entrances in the east and west. The 24 pillars of the mukhamantapa are of medium size, cubical in shape with figure representations of squating lion, Hanuman, Garuda, Krishna stealing butter, ascetics, dancers, cowherd, etc. in square registers. The massive eaves of the mukhamantapa carries a hara in brick-and-lime with its niches devoid of images. Over the garbhagriha is provided a brick-and-lime Dravida vimana almost similar to that of the adjacent Siva temple.