Achutaraya Temple Aerial View
BRIEF HISTORY:This temple was built in the reign of Achyuta Raya (A.D. 1530-42) enshrining the deity called Tiruvengalanatha, according to an inscription. The temple complex faces north. It has two prakaras. The outer one has lofty gopura on the north, while the inner one has three gopuras, on the east, west and north. Pillared corridors run along the interior of both prakara walls.
The large kalyanamantapa to the west of the two north gopuras are much dilapidated. The inner courtyard contains the sanctum of the god and goddess. Attached to the god’s sanctum are an antarala, sabhamantapa and a large and ornate mahamantapa in the typical Vijayanagara style. There is also the characteristic covered pradakshina patha around the garbhagriha and antarala. The superstructure of the sanctum is much dilapidated and the upper portions are not extant. The Amman shrine, to the south-west of the god’s sanctum has a garbhagriha, antarala and a pillared sabhamantapa having the charactertstic feature of a subsidiary shrine facing east.